Dr Shakira Choonara is a multi-award-winning public health practitioner, bold activist, 2017 Woman of the Year in Health in South Africa (SA), Destiny Magazines Most Powerful Woman under 40 in SA, listed as a 100 Most Influential Young African and the 2017 National Research Foundation of SA Next Generation Researcher. She is currently a Technical Specialist at the World Health Organization HQ supporting the Department of Health Workforce and Sexual and Reproductive Health and holds a concurrent role as the Thematic Lead on Bodily Autonomy and SRHR at UN Women HQ.
Aim and Benefits of Shakira Choonara Young African Scholarship Award
The scholarship supports final year tuition fees for a disadvantaged student.
Requirements for Shakira Choonara Young African Scholarship Award Qualification
- Youth between the ages of 21-35 years-old
- The applicant must be a citizen of any of the 54 African states
- The applicant must be in the final year of studies (undergraduate or postgraduate) at an African university
- Demonstrate financial need i.e. require the scholarship to settle final year tuition fees in order to complete their academic degree
- A proven track record of academic excellence
We strongly encourage young women and youth from marginalized populations to apply. Only online applications will be accepted, incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The student must be pursuing a university degree and have a track record of academic excellence (70% or more in the current and previous years of study). Studies in the broader development field will be supported, desirable fields include health sciences and gender studies.
September 15, 2023
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Shakira Choonara on form.jotform.com to apply
For more details, visit Shakira Choonara website